Since posting my open letter to Dr. Watts yesterday, I’ve had a lot of people reach out to ask what they can do to help us save the music education programs at Millcreek Middle School in particular, and Kent School District in general.
Here are a few things that you can do:
- Please sign the online petition at Change.org.
- Write a letter to Dr. Watts, the Kent School Board, or both. Focus on how these types of cuts reduce educational opportunities, etc.
- You can email the entire school board at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please, please, please attend the Kent School District board meeting on June 28th at 7:00 pm. The board meeting is held in the boardroom at the KSD Offices (12033 SE 256th Street, Kent). Please arrive early and be prepared to stay. The meeting might be long. If you plan to speak:
- Complete a blue card (available at the agenda table) with your name, address, and purpose. Give it to the Board secretary before the meeting begins.
State your name and address at the start of your testimony. Identify the organization, if any, that you represent.
Limit your remarks to three minutes.
- Read and then share this editorial that outlines our concerns.
These are our kids, this is our school. We must speak up and “say that our music classes are important to the parents, our children, and the future of our community”.
Cite this article as:
Robert Allred, "Save Music Education: Action Items," in Robert P. Allred, PhD, June 22, 2017, http://doctorallred.com/2017/06/save-music-education-action-items/.
Allred, R.P. (June 22, 2017). Save Music Education: Action Items [Weblog post]. Robert P. Allred, PhD. Retrieved July 21, 2017 from http://doctorallred.com/2017/06/save-music-education-action-items/